Botanical Name: Rosmarinus Officinalis
Species of perennial, belonging to the family Lamiaceae, with evergreen leaves in the form of needles with blue, white or red flowers.
It is used in medicine and in the perfume industry.
There are rosemary species growing vertically, reaching 1.5 meters tall. The leaf length is 2-4 cm, and the width of 2-5 mm, with the green colour in the upper part and the white colour in the lower part, with short, though slender beaks.
Flowers have variable colours: white, pink, dark red or blue.
- P-cymene 44.02%
- Linalool 20.5%
- Gamma-terpinene 16.62%
- Thymol 1.81%
- Beta-pinene 3.61%
- Alpha-pinene 2.83%
- Eucalyptol 2.64%
Rosemary contains a volatile oil, represented by borneol, camphor, eucalyptol, flavonoids, rosmarinic acid, bitter principles, rosmaricin and di- and triterpenic substances.
Rosemary preparations stimulate secretion of digestive juices, have choleretic, collage, antiseptic and diuretic properties.
Volatile oil stimulates mental activity and improves oxygenation of the brain.
Rosemary - Therapeutic indications
- Rosemary preparations are indicated for biliary and liver disorders, anorexia, stomach disorders, chronic rhinitis.
- Volatile oil is recommended in states of physical debility, asthenia and convalescence.
- Infusion is made from 1 teaspoon of dried leaves and cut into a mug of water. Drink 1-2 cups a day.
- In chronic rhinitis, tea inhalations can be made from 1 teaspoonful of leaves per 1 cup of water after a 5 minute boil.
- The toning effect is obtained by making some baths with tea or rosemary extract. These baths are done in the morning.
Rosemary - Precautions and contraindications
Exceeding the therapeutic dose may lead to convulsions, therefore use of volatile oil should be done with the utmost care.
Rosemary - In cosmetics
Rosemary extracts are used in the cosmetic industry to make lotions, help to fight dandruff, regenerate hair and prevent excessive hair loss, as well as dry, mature, cuperotic skin.
Also, rosemary-based preparations commonly used to combat cellulite.